He absolutely ripped my heart out tonight.
Justin.
His sensitivity and tears of hurt actually made my heart ache.
I fear this part of parenting. More than anything. I don't like to see my children hurt. Physically or mentally. The mental stuff is new to me. You know - - when they actually get their feelings hurt by an incident? Not, "He took my toy and I'm going to throw a fit." I'm talking, genuine, "My feelings are hurt!" kind of thing.
It. Broke. My. Heart.
I don't know who said what first. And it really doesn't matter to me. (I mean it matters, but...)
Kids are going to have issues. And I'm a big believer in letting them "work it out" on their time table. I don't believe in "helicopter parenting" and jumping right in the middle of things.
Life lessons are tough. And tonight, we talked about kindness. Being kind to one another. Regardless of the circumstances - - always be kind. And it's not easy. People say hurtful things to one another. Try not to be unkind to someone who has said or done something hurtful to you. It's just - - tough. Kids, I don't think, really get that. They don't get that what they are saying can, quite literally, be taken to heart by the recipient.
All I know is that his little heart was broken tonight. He cried for quite some time. Daddy and I hugged him and loved on him. So did Cam. It was a precious, precious time in which this little family of four connected on a level that I just wasn't prepared for. But, I still feel blessed because of it. We leaned on each other. And it was awesome.
I told Justin that Daddy, Mommy and Cameron would always be friends with him. Always. But the bigger friend in our lives is Jesus. And when we hurt and struggle, let Jesus take care of it. He is the one friend that will never let us down.
My sweet, tender-hearted boy is just now asleep. I let both boys stay up extra late and watch cartoons together. I wanted them to have that time giggling and laughing. I told Justin that tomorrow, he could stay home with me and Cameron and we'd have a super fun day. That's right. Justin earned himself a mental-health day. It's only preschool. And sometimes, you just need to take things a little less seriously. Tomorrow is our not-so-serious day. I'm looking quite forward to it...
7 comments:
I don't like to helicopter parent either, but be assured when "D" wakes up he and I are going to have quite a talk. I'm sorry for whatever he said, and he will be apologizing to J later today. Lately "D" is wanting to hang out and play with a kid that I'm not too excited about and I will be putting and end to it rather quickly.
Oh no, I HATE these kinds of hurts. It hurts because your kid is hurting and it hurts because you are friends with the other family. OUCH all the way around. I know that you all will work it out for the best. Good luck!
Tell Little Man I'll miss seeing him today, but I hope ya'll have a great day.
H
That breaks my heart, too. Give him a hug for me. Hard life lessons, I hear ya!
I am sorry! My eyes teared up just reading this! It's hard as adults to be kind and courteous...you know as children they are still learning! Give him an extra big hug from me!
Enjoy that Mental Health Day! :0)
We are having a great no-so-serious day. Things aren't "so dramatic" as they were last night.
I know that my little guy is not completely without his faults. (Believe me!)
It will all work out and everyone will be fine.
Until next time!
Kids. *eyeroll*
I appreciate all of your sweet sentiments.
Related to your mental health day:
Some of the best advice I ever received: Never let school interfere with your child's education.
Post a Comment