Thursday, July 17

Bras and Their Straps

When did this become such the "in" thing to do? Just let your bra strap show. It's actually part of the ensemble.

I have gone to pain-staking lengths, my entire life, to keep them hidden. Afterall, who wants to see my big, ole, thick Dolly Parton looking straps anyway? The days of the spaghetti straps left with, uh, let's see, fourth grade. Fourth grade was when my "bumps" arrived. I considered it a curse. I hated them. Always. I couldn't run worth a flip (because of the flopping) and I just hurt all the time. Not too many fourth graders wore bras. And believe me, while mine was hidden, it was still noticed.

High school was a nightmare! That's all I'll say about that.

Finally, after college, I went to the plastic surgeon and had them reduced. A lot!

I say all of that to tell you that to this day, I still won't flaunt the straps. Just - - ewwwww. Maybe I'm a little prudish about that. I don't care. Just someone please tell me when it became so cool to show them? Do they need to prove to the outside world that they are grown up enough to wear a bra now? Or perhaps they like showing off the conflicting colors. You got me.

Either way - - this chick is content to keep the straps under the shirt.

I just had to get that off of my chest... *giggle*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, gopher girl! I still have nightmares about 5th grade when I still didn't really need to wear a bra but my mom finally got tired of the begging (because ALL my friends had them) and let me wear a training bra. I was so excited! Until the school pictures came back and my strap was hanging out the top of my shirt, BIG AS DALLAS! Since then, I make extra sure they are tucked in nice and safe!

There's my story and I'm with you.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Heh heh... I agree with you, but as a silver lining kinda girl, let me just say: at least they are wearing bras. Just sayin.

blouy21 said...

My 11 year old just got 'real' bras this week. She also got some cami's from a store with built in bras. She is wearing a bra with her cami and I don't mind the straps (they are small like the cami straps). I don't like when they hang out of shirts that have enough fabric to cover them.

Ashley said...

I went to the plastic surgeon for the opposite! Ha! And I'm not shy about it either.

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...