Sunday, July 29

Day Three at the Cabin

This daily blogging thing is fun.  I think I like it.

So today - - fun.

I went hiking.  *pause for dramatic response*  Yes.  I hiked.  I've talked about doing this one for a while.

It was only about a 2.5 mile trek, round trip.  But the elevation was around 8600 ft.  Several joke that the hike is truly uphill both ways.

Both my dad and Mr. B have done it before and they both said that I couldn't do it.  Oh really?  Why not just catapult me right back to high school and tell me I can't do something?

I will tell you this.  I can.  And I did.  It was hard work because I'm uber-out of shape.  Here I am at the beginning of the hike:


And here is some of the "along the path" stuff.


You really can't get a good feel for the incline here.  But I assure you, there was one.


Noah and I saw this huge tree that had been cut down.  It was ginormous!  He posed on top of the stump.


I pretended to try to pick up the trunk of the tree.  Ha!  SO not happening.

Here is a pic of what we hiked to:


It is the Mexican Canyon Trestle.  You can read a good account of it by someone else here.


This is me smiling when it was all said and done.  I won't lie - - it kicked my butt.  I had to stop several times on my way back.  I told you I was out of shape.  My lungs were burning and I was struggling to breathe.  But I was gonna do it y'all.  And I did.  At this point, my legs began to feel like jello.  I rode quietly in the van back to the cabin. I took a shower because Cam said I smelled bad.  Who would have thought?  I really didn't sweat a lot.  It was a cool 66 degrees for the hike and it even rained on us some on our way back.  But I guess funk is funk and I needed to wash it off.

I ate a quick sandwich and then crashed for a few hours.  I slept hard.  The window was open and the cool breeze was blowing through my room.

I am proud of me.  I did it.  It was SO worth it.  We'll see if I still feel that way in the morning.  Mr. B said he was proud of me.  That makes me smile.  I love to make the mister proud.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Good for you! I don't like to camp, but I do like to hike and I wish the two males that I live with would like it as much as I do....the hike looks lovely!

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...