Earlier this year, I said I wasn't going to watch Big Brother. I've only missed one season since the show started.
I've really felt convicted about what God would want me to do. Is watching the show honoring Him? I'm not judging anyone who chooses to watch. Not. At. All. I think we each have to make decisions about our lives based on our own reasons. What's not good for me might not be good for someone else. Make sense? I know I'm a walking contradiction. I watch Survivor. I watch Grey's Anatomy. I've seen some pretty raunchy movies. See? Not judging. I just felt like God was laying it heavy on my heart to just not be a part of BB this year.
In addition to the quality of the show (it gets pretty rough), I decided that it was too much of a major time suck and I just couldn't do that to my kids this summer. Here's the thing. I don't just watch - - I obsess. If I watch, I constantly peruse message boards to stay on top of things. I always need to know who wins stuff before it airs on prime time. Who's fighting? Who "did" who the night before? I've done the live feeds a few times, too. That only ramps up the obsess factor for me. I can't look away.
I survived. I didn't watch it tonight. I'm proud of myself. I went back and forth for a while about it. I was tempted. Since I wasn't doing the live feeds, it would be okay. Right? In the end, I went with what I felt I was being led to do. I avoided the whole thing. Tonight was the biggest hurdle. Whew.
Please don't misunderstand. I'm not playing the "high and mighty" card. I'm doing what I think is best for me. And for my family. I'm not looking for a pat on the back. I just want to share how good it feels to honor a conviction.
No comments:
Post a Comment