Thursday, April 17

Single White Female

In an effort to snatch myself from the fiery jaws of a crappy mood, I did a little research and found this post about stalkers. Enjoy...


Single White Female?
During some recent browsing and surfing, I happened across a couple of blogs discussing the concept of having a "blog stalker". Apparently a blog stalker is a person who reads without commenting, usually a person unknown to the blogger. The blogger sees the visitor in their traffic stats and feels uneasy. "Who is that person from *insert location that shows in stats* who logs onto my blog 10 times a day, reads it more than I do and never says "hello"??"


I think it's a bit melodramatic to label a blog visitor a stalker just because the blogger doesn't know who they are. If I wanted privacy I could blog in a social networking site and set my profile to private, only having people I know on my contacts list. I choose to publish a public blog and so I'm going to get readers - and reader is the word I use to define the people who turn up in my traffic stats whether they are regulars, commenter's or random one topic visitors.

I suppose it's possible someone might develop an obsession with reading a person's blog, and it is the risk one takes putting oneself "out there", but I'm not one for choosing to live in fear of another's potential bad behaviour. I tend to cross bridges when I come to them, rather than get my journey knotted up by imagining bridges that may never materialise. I thank my stars I'll never have to deal with the likes of John Cusack and Samantha Morton's alleged stalkers.

It is a wee bit fascinating to contemplate why a person moves into that kind of attachment towards another and, in trying to get control of someone else, loses total control of themselves. They seem to get lost in the fantasy world and forget to step out - perhaps they ran out of string or forgot to leave a trail of breadcrumbs, and their fantasy develops into a darker attachment and in the worst cases begins to impact the life of someone else.

I'm all for fantasy. I think fantasy is just a natural part of the human brain and it's part of the creative process. I think it's perfectly acceptable to brighten a dour day with a mind-meandering into something outrageous or unlikely. I confess to an intrepid past including being the middle ingredient of a Sixx and Lee sandwich, a whirlwind tour of the seven seas as Captain Jack's better half and the more than occasional adventure in the arms of the sexiest (famous) man alive, Ray Winstone. I think it's healthy. I think it's creative. It's definitely fun.

So readers unless you have some sort of ill intent towards me, or an inability to detach from the world of fantasy, I will not worry that you read and don't comment and I won't use the word stalker to define you...

Now tell me that wasn't funny. And yes, I have tracking software on here. Yes, I know some of you hit this site *several* times a day. And never comment. It makes me laugh. Are you guys in love with me or just bored out of your mind? *giggle* You're in love with me, aren't you? I knew it. I'm a little in love with myself, too. I'm a pretty dang good catch. Remember? I'm a trophy wife.

10 comments:

blouy21 said...

Yes, I must confess that I DO love you! Busted. Sorry.

R&Rer said...

I too read, yet never comment here, just through e-mail. I can adjust that for you though if you would like.

Anonymous said...

Howdy, needed to comment on the snoop and gossip that is out there. The anger that is in a persons heart that they would be willing to snoop and gossip your little blog is a huge wedge between them and God. Sin is sin no matter what it is anything that drives people from God and each other is a sin. People who continue to stand on "holy ground" and gossip and hate monger are loathed by God and people alike. Jesus asks for God to forgive our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us. Gods words not mine. MM

Anonymous said...

Just for the record----there is NO wedge between me & God, and definitely Anger is not what's in my heart. Maybe disappointment that everything is one sided. But, it's your blog!

~B said...

What is one sided? The above comment? Yes, that comment was one sided. I agree. One person said it. Not necessarily the expressed opinion of the blog. None of the comments are. They are all comments by individuals.

Shawna said...

Love Ya Becky...and yep your in PEN. How about Sat. at noon..it is best for me but what about you?

~B said...

Love you, too, Shawna!! Noon is good for me. Deb?

Ophelia Paine said...

Damn! I feel like I've been caught on tape doing something naughty! It's kinda fun, actually. ;-0

Anonymous said...

People read your blog for the absolutely needed daily giggle!!!1
H

~B said...

Good to have you back, H!!!

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...