Wednesday, January 23

Doing it Cam's way.

Why do I even ask him? Not just once, but several times. This is how it went down at lunch today.

I try to limit the boys' fast food consumption to once a week. Maybe twice. Usually once. Today was their lucky day. Justin decided not to stay for extended care at preschool today. I let him have that option on Mondays and Wednesdays. This morning, he opted out. So, I decided this would be a good fast food day for them.

I asked them if they wanted chicken nuggets from Mickey D's. Usually they do. Today, no. Justin said he'd rather have his french fries from Hamburger King. That would be BK to you and me. But you figured that out, right? Okay. (Even better than Micky D's. I'm not tempted by BK's food at all.) Giddyup.

We hit the drive-thru. I asked Justin what he wanted. A hamburger. No pickles, no ketsup. Got it.

Cam - - not so easy. Here's how my conversation went with him:

Me: Cam, what do you want? Chicken nuggets or a hamburger?

Cam: French fries.

Me: You'll get french fries with one or the other. Which one do you want?

Cam: French fries.

Me: Okay, you can have french fries. Do you want chicken nuggets or a hamburger with your french fries?

Cam: French fries.

Me: (speaking slowly and clearly) CHICKEN NUGGETS or a HAMBURGER?

Cam: French fries.

Me: Okay, a cheeseburger it is.

Why did I keep asking him? Why was I so delusional to think that he might actually tell me what he wanted? I know he wanted french fries. I'm convinced the little dude dreams about french fries. But has he *not* figured out yet that he gets something else, too? His main entree? What a pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's the man gene in them:

Us: Honey, are you going to take out the trash or mow the lawn before the game?

Him: Football

Us: Yes, you can watch the game when it comes on, but before that, are you going to take out the trash or mow the lawn?

Him: Football

Us: Football later. TRASH or LAWN???

Him: Football

*sigh*

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...