Friday, October 29

Not a "Fall Festival" Girl

In fact - - I sort of declared war on them this year.  I hate them!

Several reasons.

For one - - Halloween has always kind of freaked me out.  Not really Halloween.  But people in costumes where they are disguised.  I don't like it.  At all.  Seriously freaks me out.  (Anyone remember my clown fear?  I think it's all related.)

Secondly - crowds.  I'm not a fan. I don't like bumping into strangers.  It's creepy.  I never did the bar thing in college.  Okay, well I did once.  Long story.  The short version?  I was there for a bachelorette party.  I was a bridesmaid and felt like I needed to go.  The bride didn't want to go either.  But we went.  My dad showed up to retrieve me.  You know, my deacon dad?  Yeah.  I went home.  (Mom sold me out on that one.  She knew I was going.  She ratted on me.  Thanks, Mom! *wink*)  Anyway, it's never been my scene.

With the crowds, at festivals, come long lines.  Long lines to pay the equivalent of $1 or more for some stupid game.  Wait twenty minutes to toss a ring on a coke and risk not even winning it?  Thanks, but no.  I'd rather go to the store and buy a twelve pack and call it good.  Know what I mean?

Now trick-or-treating?  I'm all for it.  We make the walk around our block and it's fun.  Not too much candy.  It's all good.  Trick-or-treaters showing up at my house with a plastic Wal-Mart bag and no costume?  No.  No candy for you.  NEXT!!!

And - - Halloween.  You celebrate it on Halloween.  The big controversy here in Anytown, USA is when to do the trick-or-treating.  On Saturday?  Again.  No.  It's not Halloween.  I know it's a school night on Sunday.  Halloween usually falls on a school night.  Big deal.  Go early, get home early, don't let the kids eat a lot of candy.  Problem solved.  If trick-or-treaters show up at our house on Saturday night, they are just getting an eye roll from me.  If I even bother to answer the door.

I'm not really Halloween's version of Christmas's "The Grinch."  I like costumes.  I like to watch the kids dress up.  I just have my quirks.  I guess we all do.

Whatever you choose to do this weekend.  Have fun.  Be safe.  And eat some chocolate for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok weird. Your dad was a Deacon? MINE TOO!

Curiouser and curiouser.

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...