I was privileged enough to have known all four of my grandparents. I didn't lose a single one of them until after I graduated from college. I even remember a few of my great-grandparents. Let's see - - I remember four of them.
My last grandparent to pass away, GrandDaddy, was something else. My Grandmother passed away a few years before him. He swore he'd never get married again. I remember, fondly, the day he called to tell me that he and Anna were getting married. He told me before he told my dad. He wanted to know what Dad would think. We'd all met Anna and just adored her. What we loved more was that she brought happiness back into my grandfather's life. A different kind of happiness. She let him embrace his silly side. I loved "Silly GrandDaddy." That was when my relationship with him blossomed. Don't get me wrong - - I loved my grandmother. But to say that she was uptight is a bit of an understatement. My dad used to say that she borrowed things to worry about. He said that her mother did it as well. I see some of those same traits in Dad and me, too.
Anyway - - About GrandDaddy and Anna. They got married. I didn't like calling her Anna. It just didn't seem right. I called her one day to talk and asked if she minded if I called her Granna. I could feel her smile over the phone. She became Granna that day.
GrandDaddy passed away in June of 2007. I remember the day vividly. I was holding his hand as he left this life and walked into the arms of Jesus. It was the most beautiful moment of my life. We all cried. Not heavy sobs. Gentle tears. Very similar to what I'm doing now. My heart broke for my Dad and Granna. I can't explain how much it hurt. I can't believe how real that pain still is today. I miss him so much.
When I picked up the mail today, there was a birthday card for Justin. It was from Granna. I read it to him. He asked me who Granna was. My eyes stung as I held back the tears. I told him that Granna was married to GrandDaddy. He then asked me who GrandDaddy was. That was all it took. I want Justin to remember him. I know Cameron won't. Justin might though.
I guess my point is this: If your grandparents are still around - - give them an extra hug the next time you see them. Give them one for me, too. I'd give anything for one more hug, one more joke, one more conversation, one more "I love you."
3 comments:
Aww, Becky - this definitely spoke to me. I lost my precious Pa-Paw back in February (he was 98!). I still have 3 grandparents living, can you believe that? You're SO right - they are to be appreciated and loved. Since my grandfather died, my grandmother has been so lonely. She lives 3 hours away, so I don't get to see her often, but I've been calling her at least once a week, and we have the most wonderful talks! We didn't used to do that, but now we do. It's precious time spent.
Anyway, thanks for the reminder. Grandparents are a special blessing.
I loved this post. I feel so blessed to have grown up close to all of my grandparents. I had 3 grandmas- long story, but they were all such a blessing to me. I only have my Grandma and Papaw left now and I got to see them on Sunday night. I can't hug them enough these days.
:(
What a day it will be when we have that reunion in Heaven!!!
Post a Comment