Tuesday, August 26

Friendship

What does it mean to you?

Yoda and I have had a couple of conversations about this (although not too many as of late - - I miss you Yoda!) Anyway, we talked about our friendship specifically and how it works for us. We can go weeks, even months without seeing each other. Then one day, we see each other again, and it's like we never lost a beat. We don't feel the need to call each other all the time, etc. It works for us and I like it. Without sounding mean, and I know she doesn't take it this way, I would call this a low-maintenance friendship. Make no mistake, if I were to pick up the phone and tell Yoda that I needed her, she would be here. In. An. Instant. And I would do the same for her.

Then there are friendships that aren't healthy for me. I think we've all been there, done that. Some of those, the friendship actually ended. While I know it was for the better, I grieve the good times we shared. And we certainly shared those. T was with me through infertility, the adoption of both boys, and freaked out with me during bad storms. She made me laugh. A lot. I miss that part of our friendship.

Why am I bringing all of this up? I guess I'm just thinking. Thinking about how many of my friendships have taken a turn in odd directions. Those that I thought would always be rock solid have been completely tested. And some, just not the same ever since.

And now?

Remember the good times, through both laughter and tears. And move on. Be true to myself. Allow that to permeate to my friendships. Be true to them. Be real. I accept that not everyone "gets" me. And that's okay.

Love me for who I am (ugly warts and all) or don't love me at all.

Don't freak out or anything. I'm okay. Just - - thinking. I like to do that occasionally.

6 comments:

J. Page said...

This one hit home today. I have been thinking alot about friendships lately too...I have been thinking about true friends and how lucky we are when those come along in life. I love your openness and honesty on this blog. Thanks for being you!

Anonymous said...

I think *ours* is one that had to end in some ways :(

~B said...

L - - is that you?

Anonymous said...

y

~B said...

Why? Or Yes?

Anonymous said...

Dont know why really...I do, but then dont.
:(

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...