Tuesday, February 14

Bucking Tradition

I hate Valentine's Day.

I think it's stupid.  So, so, so stupid.

I don't need some martyred saint's day, included on the calendar, to remind me to demonstrate my love.  Mr. B and I do this on a daily basis.  In the little ways.  Some days more than others.  It just depends.

The last thing I want to do is pile into a crowded restaurant with eleventy-billion other people and act all cheesy and in love.

I'm not buying, or making, a card that will end up in the trash at the end of the day.

I don't want flowers that are just going to die.

I don't need candy because I'll just eat it.  And my body doesn't need any more garbage in it than I already put there.

What do I get instead?

I get a man who tells me he loves me every single day.  I get a man I can always depend on 24/7, 365.  And that - - I absolutely adore.

Tonight - we dine on meat loaf, mashed potatoes and green beans.  And each of the guys in this house will love it.

And someday - who knows when - Mr. B will do some totally random thing to show me he loves me.  I won't expect it.  And I'll be blessed by the spontaneity of it.  *That* I look forward to.

So thank you, Mr. B., for being on the same page as me and not buying into the "commercialism" of this cheese-wad day.

Love,
Valentine's Day Grinch
(and proud of it!)

2 comments:

Kristina said...

I told DH very early in our courtship that I didn't want him spending money on flowers at Valentine's Day. I do not want to support the price gouging that goes on that week. That said, he and Connor surprised me with a Brighton necklace this year...I was shocked. I bought them both a huge Reese's peanut butter heart and told them they were MY favorite Valentines. :)

~becky said...

That was sweet of your guys!!!

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...