Thursday, March 31

Heh.

I am a chicken.  I won't lie.  I don't do confrontation and I avoid hurting other people's feelings at all cost.  Now - - do I hurt people in spite of that?  I'm sure I do.  I'd venture to say that 99% of the time, my motives are genuine.

How does my sarcasm fit into this picture?  It makes it hard.  Especially for people that don't get my sense of humor.  But I make it work.

Now - - for the situation at hand.   I have a handful of FB friends that, frankly, I'd rather not have.  I'm pretty sure none of them are reading this.  So don't flip out on me.  I've been "un-friended" before and I've done my share of "un-friending."  Most of the time - - I sigh a huge sigh of relief when I get booted.  It just means that I didn't have to do it.  Then I can wash my hands of the situation and say, "Hey, it wasn't me."

Such is the case this time.  I imagine my silence spoke volumes.  Which was what I wanted it to do.

We all have our "causes" or things we are passionate about.  In this particular situation - - I just couldn't relate.  On any level.  About any of the causes.  The "in your face-ness" attitude drove me insane.  It was as if this view point was the only way to go.  Anything else was just wrong.  Most of the time, I kept my mouth shut.  One of the times I interjected *my* opinion, I was pounced upon.  Quite rabidly.  At least it felt rabid.

It takes all kinds to make this crazy world go 'round.  I don't think we should all be Stepford Wives or anything.  But agreeing to disagree is the grown up way to do things.  Let me tell you a little about my friend K.  I "met" her on a message board.  She lives in another state.  We've never met in real life.  We were nearly able to once.  But I couldn't get away that weekend.  I'm not giving up.  We will meet.

Politically -  - we are about as opposite as opposite can be.  But what we've done is put that aside (while maintaining our own convictions) and gotten to know each other outside of politics.  Let me tell you - - I find her to be an amazing woman and she challenges me.  She may not know it, but she does.  Being friends with her has helped me to think outside of the box.  To form my own opinion.  To gather as much knowledge as I can about something in order to make my best educated decision.

Now, she does make fun of the fact that Sean Hannity is on my "laminated" list.  I laugh at her because Rachel Maddow is her "girl crush."  (K is married with a gorgeous son, for the record.)  That's neither here nor there.  K is my friend.  I am thankful for her.  I am thankful for her maturity.  She is respectful to me on FB and I am respectful to her.  (Yes, K, I see your two old lady blog thingy that you post occasionally - - I even read them.  Happy?)

Real friends are worth the effort.  My inner circle has gotten increasingly smaller.  Trust is big with me.  HUGE!

If you're still with me, thanks.  That was probably boring beyond all imagination.  I had to get it all off my chest.  I feel better.  Lots better.

Now - - I'm off to pick my two favorite little guys up from school.  The best part of my day.  *grin*

4 comments:

Shawna said...

I think it is good to have a small inner circle. I love mine! I love that you are in it! I think being an adult about sensitive subjects is HUGE. It's okay to "agree to disagree" and move on. You're a special friend of mine and I'm so glad to be in the inner circle of B!

Kristina said...

Loved reading this.....and back at ya babe! I'm so happy we became friends and I'm part of your circle. You inspire me to be a better mom, so it goes both ways.

~becky said...

You both make me smile. Big, huge, goofy smile.

~becky said...

I am not ashamed. I don't have any reason to be.

I think that sometimes, we have friends for a season. Seasons in our lives where for a time, we do have something in common. We help each other through those times and the relationships blossom. Then life throws us a curveball. We move. We make personal decisions that change us. Someone dies. Life happens and the season ends.

I don't regret the season I've talked about here. I feel like I was there for a reason. I can look back at it and smile.

You either let life make you bitter or you let it make you better. I choose better. I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way. I'm sure I'll trust a few of the wrong people along the way. I'm not perfect.

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...