Saturday, October 18

Where to start?

This has been one unbelievable day. To say the least.

Justin's birthday party was today. And we were having a blast.

Two of our guests were a little late. When they came in (with *one* of their mothers) and explained why - - my heart melted. No. It broke. The mom of the *other* little girl had just, a couple of hours previously, lost her friend. Her good friend (and running partner) was hit by a car this morning and was killed. She leaves behind two children. I'm not sure of their ages. I'm thinking 10 & 6. Just like that. Gone.

What's worse? We know the driver of the car.

It's a terrible, terrible tragedy.

Then - -

Cameron got lost. At the mall. I'm not even kidding. Our party was at Neon Jungle, an indoor miniature golf place, which is located at one of the entrances of our mall. It has black lighting in there. So - - it's dark. We were packing up to leave. Mr. B had taken a load out to the van. He got back, I looked up, and I asked, "Where's Cameron?" I figured, he's in here somewhere. We looked. Everywhere. Bathrooms, behind the curtains, behind counters. Gone.

I couldn't breathe. Mr. B and Susan dashed out into the mall. Asking along the way if anyone had seen a three year old little boy. When the mall security man asked me for a description of him - - I lost it.

It seemed like an eternity. A police man found him at the end of the mall. He had wandered all of the way down there. (For you locals, he was down by Penney's.) All by himself. No tears. Nothing. Just checking things out.

I wanted to throw up. We were right there by the entrance. The mall is located on a major loop in our town. Just like that. He could have been gone forever.

Thank God. Thank God nothing happened to him. He is safe and home with us. I never want to feel that again. That was sickening.

To the people I overheard saying that someone should have been watching him - - you think? I know. I know! Not the most sensitive thing to say in the presence of a frantic mommy. And they knew I was the mommy. (I think that was abundantly clear.)

Whew. I hope I can sleep. Rest assured, I'll be giving him an extra kiss tonight. I think I'll go do that now.

Go kiss your kids, too. Sleeping or awake. Old or young. If they live in your house, give them an extra hug or kiss tonight. There are two other kids in this town that I'm sure would love a kiss from their mommy tonight. And one mommy that is grateful to be able to do it.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my goodness, I am so glad you found him. How scary. It can happen so fast. I would've been sick, too.

I am SO sad for the driver. Gosh, it couldn't happen to a nicer man.

~B said...

I know! My heart breaks for he and his family. Super, sweet family.

Shawna said...

You gave me chills just reading the entire blog! That is terrible for the running lady and the driver :(
Poor you, I would have freaked out too!!!! Glad he is safe with you now.

Abby said...

Speechless (and that's saying alot)

MaierHousehold said...

Not real sure what to say here! My eyes were tearing up just reading this!

Glad you found C!

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...