Sound crazy?
To be honest, I'm not a big phone talker. I never have been. (My dad would probably argue. Circa 1988) That was then. Plus, no interwebs back then. I just don't talk much on the phone. I say what I need to say and I'm done. Maybe it's Mr. B rubbing off on me. He's the same way.
Anyway - - many of you know what I'm referring to here. I just thought I'd recap some of the life-changing phone calls I've had.
1. Really, 1 - 4. The death, or impending death, of each of my grandparents. I remember each one. One, I didn't make it to the hospital in time. That was my George. My grandmother. The one that I see more of myself in every day. Then my Memow. My other grandmother. She was in another town. I remember hoping my dad could make it to her in time. Then my Opa. My buddy. Alzheimer's had gotten him and I'd really lost him long before he actually passed away. Then there was GrandDaddy. *sniffle* I was able to be with him when he slipped from this earth and into our Father's arms. That call came early in the morning. I was able to spend the day with him and visit with him one last time. It was beautiful.
5. Then there was Tullie. He was my college boyfriend. The one I *knew* I'd marry. He broke up with me on the phone. (The coward.) He had just graduated from college and I had another year and a half to go. He was supposed to come visit me. I'd cleaned house, gotten time off of work. It was perfect. Then he dumped me. I. Was. Crushed. I got really sick after that one. I took some time off of work and just sulked. Well, layed out by the pool, didn't eat or drink anything, used no sunscreen, cried uncontrollably and got really dehydrated. It was vicious.
6. Tullie is a pilot in the U.S.A.F. I think he flies those re-fueling jets. Anyway, I remember him calling me (after we'd broken up). I answered and I heard, "Who do you know that might be in Saudi Arabia?" My heart melted. Just idle chit-chat. At the time, it was good to know that he was thinking of me.
7. Hearing of my brother's heart attack. I don't even like talking about this one. Luckily, he was okay. But it scared the ever-livin' out of all of us!
8. The birth of my first nephew - - Brado. My arms ached to hold him. I was so pumped to be an aunt. Finally. I remember jumping up and down in my parent's living room.
9 & 10 get a post of their own. I'm sure you can guess.
Stay tuned.
2 comments:
It's so fun reading these and getting to know you better.
WOW B! Did I know that your bro had a heart attack???
No one can accuse you of not being emotional or sentimental!
I can't wait to hear about numbers 9 & 10...Yes, I have a sneaking suspicion I know who you are talking about! :0)
Luv You!!
Post a Comment