Tuesday, October 28

Phone calls that have changed my life - Part 2

If you haven't read the entry before this one, go read it first. Okay. It's just below this one. Then come back and read this one.

9. Her water broke! That's right. Baby boy number 2 was on his way. I'd just popped my Ambien and was headed to bed. We had to pack and drive to Tulsa. Luckily, our family in Tulsa happened to be staying with us. So, they kept Justin and we headed to meet our baby. We didn't get there in time. (His birthmother had given me permission to be in the delivery room with her.) But - - Cameron decided he was in such a hurry to meet us that he came three weeks early. We held our new bundle of joy in our arms later that afternoon. He was so tiny. And perfect.

10. This one is so much more vivid to me. I think because it was so "out of nowhere." Cameron, we were expecting. Justin, on the other hand - - well let's just say, we had no idea. I had gone to work and Mr. B had just flown back into town the night before. I was at work, by myself. At 8:30 a.m., the call came that rocked my world. It was my brother. It went something like this:

Me: Edward Jones Investments
Baby Bro: Becky?
Me: Yes....
Baby Bro: Hey, ummmm (I could tell he was crying.)
Me: Are you okay?
Baby Bro: It's not me. It's fine. It's all real fine. Are you sitting down?

Every hair on my body stood straight up and I got chills.

You see, I'd just met an attorney the weekend before and had a really good feeling about our plans to adopt. I never dreamed it would happen this fast.

Me: What? (I sat down.)
Baby Bro: There's a baby. Being born right now. You need to call your lawyer and get the details. She wants to know if you guys want the baby or not.

Why had my brother called me? Our attorney was panicked and couldn't remember our phone number. She knew to call Baby Bro and he'd find me.

VERY long story short - - a birthmom called our attorney, en route to the hospital to deliver. No pre-natal care, nothing. More details about the woman, blah, blah, blah. Did we want the baby? I needed to find Mr. B and find him fast. Time was ticking. I finally found him. He thought I was kidding. I just remember him saying "What?" over and over and over. That followed by, "YES!!!"

We called family, friends, our local attorney and jumped through our butts to get a homestudy done. We were being finger-printed at the police station (for the criminal background check) when we found out it was a boy.

We arrived in Tulsa at midnight. We met Justin the next morning. I could go on and on about that. Maybe later.

Don't get me wrong. Cameron's arrival was just as important. He was more "planned." So it's just not as attention grabbing as, "boom, here's a baby."

I will say this about #9 and 10 - - they both make #11 seem so small. So insignificant.

11. The call from the fertility center telling me that the invitro failed. Not pregnant.

That call's pain was greatly diminished with the birth of our two sons. God had great plans for us. He wants the best for us. At the time, I didn't understand. All I could see was the "here and now." He saw the whole picture.

We are a family blessed by adoption. Really, really blessed.

God is good.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

bawling. I am bawling.

J. Page said...

Thanks for posting this...I needed to read your story and hope we can talk in person about it some time.

Cammie said...

That is the best post ever! God blesses by birth and adoption!

Anonymous said...

You were always a mother... you just needed a baby.

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...