Wednesday, August 30

School Body-Slam

Let me get this out there first - - I love our school. I love the teachers. I love the administration. Love, love, and more love.

But I miss the simplicity of summer. The break, as a parent, that I get from needing to correspond with teachers is much needed. And it's about two weeks into the school year, when grades start to show up on the online reporting system, that I start to realize that it's time for ME to go back to school. When I start getting those auto-generated e-mails because a grade is THAT bad, then I know I waited too long.

The first one came today.

It was a lovely two weeks.

But bless his heart, he does math about as good as his mama. Toss in some anxiety about not being good enough or smart enough or worried that someone is judging you or lots of other things. Add in puberty and trying to figure out who you really are. Are you still a kid? Are you a man? Are you just another awkward middle school kid? What? We don't know. We just do our best to parent through this and team up with teachers.

I am still, 100%, Team Teacher, y'all. For real. I should have t-shirts made up for conferences. They would say This parent is on your team. #teamteacher If I didn't think that would come across as a total butt kisser, I would get right on that. I don't complain about them. Because frankly, they are doing a job I can't.

So - - here I am again. The fun part of first day of school pictures is over. Reality has kicked in. I've initiated first contact with my first teacher of the year. And so the cycle repeats.

Oh, what I'd give to be back on the big boat, floating around in the Caribbean with a fruity beverage in my hand listening to a steel drum band. Or listening to the rain gently fall on the roof of a cabin in the mountains as the thunder rolls through the canyon. But alas, I hear the notification of e-mails coming in and alarms reminding me to get my butt out of bed in the mornings.



Reality. It body slammed me today.

No comments:

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...