Wednesday, July 22

Worst Movies of All Time

It's been a while since I've done this. Here is where I reviewed a few of them before. Since I have some newbie followers, here goes...

1. Dante's Peak
2. Flightplan
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Open Water
5. Gran Torino
6. Planet of the Apes
7. Sirens (The only movie I've ever walked out of in the theater.)

There's not much that is worse than spending approximately two hours watching a movie and then when the credits start rolling you think, "Well, that sucked." What's worse is when twenty minutes into the movie, you know it sucks, but you think, "I've already invested my time. I may as well see it out." Then you think, "Dang it. Why didn't I listen to the little voice that told me to press the stop button? Why?" And then you want to get in your car, drive straight to Hollywood and throw rotten eggs at the director's house. That, my friends, is how you know you hated that movie.

The above list does not include movies that I'm certain sucked, but was actually wise enough not to see.

7 comments:

Cammie said...

I have heard great things about Gran Torino from everyone but you. Can you tell me more about why it is on the 'sucked' list?

Yoda said...

Do you like any of the Cohen brother's movies (No Country)? They did The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, Raising Arizona, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and The Big Lebowski (among others).

They are known for their dark comedy/dark everything. I have found them to be an acquired taste, like merlot. However, the few I have seen (and by that I mean 3) I have found to be... weird... with moments of brilliance but weird. And dark. Really dark. I can't imagine you liking *any* of them. I can barely tolerate them and I *like* disturbing movies. ;)

~B said...

I've never seen any of those movies you listed.

I agree with you about "moments of brilliance but weird." That's it exactly. I felt like it had a good storyline. I liked where they were going with it. But it just kept going and going and going. And then - - the end. Very abruptly.

Hated it. Hated it, hated it, hated it.

Baby Bro said...

My top 3 are the same as yours. That's funny. However, I guess I was wise enough to not see 4-7. Ha ha. Don't worry, I've got my own 4-7. Here is my remaining 4-7...
#4 The Life of Benjamin Button (Could a movie go any slower? I never finished it. I'm sure it is still playing in my DVD player.)
#5 Tony Blair Witch Project
#6 The Apocalypse
#7 Holds the spot of every movie that appears on the Halmark Channel. We will just call this the Budgetless Nameless Movie. Just pick one and it can go in this spot.

~B said...

Right on, Baby Bro. Right on. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is right up there on my list, too. I forgot it. I watched it based purely on hormones. I wanted to stare at a hot Brad Pitt. Unfortunately the ick factor got to me. I quickly watched Legends of the Fall and rediscovered all of Brad's hotness.

Mr. B said to include just about any movie that has ever had a nom for best picture. It's the ones with the artsy crap that the average joe doesn't even understand that usually suck.

Now - - I've watched the occasional Hallmark movie. I'll own that.

Yoda said...

I gotta disagree with the best picture nomination comment:

1. Titanic (not great, but not major suckage, especially given the length)

2. LA Confidential - an *amazing* mystery/thriller and has a pre-creepy Russel Crowe (yum) and Kevin Spacey (pretty much always a thumbs up from me)I can't imagine most average guys not liking this movie.

3. As Good As It Gets - (which may fall into "the artsy crap that the average joe doesn't even understand" category, but which is an amazing film for *so* many reasons)

4. Good Will Hunting - What is there to not like about this??? Um... hello, hot smartie pants Matt Damon (served up with a little Affleck on the side) in a totally intense story with heart, and the performance of a lifetime from Robin Williams.

5. Brokeback Mountain - and I completely realize that I am not going to gain *any* support from you or your audience with this one, but which I will assert until the day I die has the best performance of *any* actor, *ever given*, since the dawn of time. Ever. (Heath Ledger) (This one is definitely in the "artsy crap that the average joe doesn't even understand" category.)


Ironically enough, the first four were all nominated the same year (Titanic won), and the fifth nomination that year was for The Full Monty... which totally fits Mr.B's assessment in my opinion. :)

~B said...

Conceding a little:

1. Titanic - - I really enjoyed that one.

2. L.A. Confidential - I will agree to see this movie.

3. As Good as it Gets - I wouldn't say it sucked. I liked most of it. I just never had the desire to watch it again.

4. Good Will Hunting - Point Made. Great movie. How do you like them apples?

5. Brokeback Mountain - I'm gonna shock the ever-livin' out of a few of you here. My complaint with this movie wasn't that those two men were homosexuals. It wasn't that they fell in love with each other. It was the adultry that bothered me so much. It was the hell they put their wives through. That bothered me. Yes, I saw the movie. We could devote an entire blog to discussion about that movie alone. It was deep. And dark. And very, very sad.

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...