Saturday, July 25

When God Speaks

There were a series of events that happened over the week that gave me quite a boost in my faith.

Here's the deal. I've been bad about going to church. Again. It's *so* easy when you are out of the routine of going. It's easier to just keep not going. I've used excuse after excuse. None of them worth much at all.

The thing is - - I crave it. And when it's not there, I miss it. A lot. I feel empty. Don't get me wrong. It's not the building. What is church? It's what happens inside the building. It's what happens inside my heart and soul. It's a community of Believers. And while I've complained (ad nauseam) about the bad, those that act self-righteous, the cattiness, the hypocrisy, etc. - - I know that God has called me to be something better. He has called me to not get caught up in the mean and nasty. He has called me to be there to worship Him. Only Him. It is not my place to judge the others or their own reasons for being there.

I have felt very convicted this week to be better. To be who He designed me to be. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I want to be a wife who honors her husband and makes him proud, a mother who loves her children and sets a good example, a daughter who is obedient and follows the way she was trained, a sister who loves unconditionally and works like crazy to maintain relationships from great distances and a friend who is there and demonstrates my love for Christ in my actions. But most of all, I want to be a child of the King and make my Heavenly Father happy.

I don't want *anyone* to see me as holier than thou. I just want to shine. I want to shine for Him. And then for that to trickle down in all of my relationships.

What, you ask, has prompted this "spiritual awakening?" Well, a few things. A phone call from someone I admire, telling me that she has missed seeing me on Sundays. And it wasn't one of those condescending calls where you feel like the words "I missed you" are just code for "I know you quit coming to church." She missed me, Mr. B and the boys. I know she was genuine. And it was nice. Very nice. Very much what I needed at the moment.

Another thing happened last night. A friend (who for quite some time has been kind of an "on the surface" friend) texted me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to go to the movies with her, her sister and her mother. It may not seem like much. But it was a big deal to me. Just another reaffirmation. (They are very much a close-knit, Godly family. I admire them more than they will ever know.) It was good to relax and laugh with friends.

What does this mean for you, my fan? I don't know. My blog isn't really going to change that much. I still want things to be light-hearted and fun. That's just me. I like to make people smile. And laugh. I want to keep that up. Trips to Wal-Mart will still be eventful, I'm sure. And my boys do things that are blog-worthy all of the time. So it will continue.

Just know that I am human. I am *far* from perfect. That's not an excuse - - just a fact.

Anyway, if you're still reading. Thanks. I try not to "preach" often. You know that. It's just what I'm feeling inside me and I needed to get it out there. Thanks to each of you for your love and friendship. And - - for getting me. I think most of you do. I'm not the easiest person in the world to be friends with. Just know that I value the role that each of you play in my life. Thank you for loving me for who I am. And know that - - I love you, too.

5 comments:

Wynell said...

I don't know anyone who could have said any of that any better. All of what you said is so my heart and why I am working with the group who is planting a church here. We are so for people as they are and where they are in life. We just want to love them for God the way He loves us.

BTW: I think you are an awesome person with a great heart...human, yes...but loving. I really look forward to your blog updates...they usually make me smile or even laugh out loud!!! Keep up the good work and be kind to yourself...you know you are loved by the most important person...God!!!

Have a great and blessed day!

~B said...

Thanks, Wynell! That means a lot to me coming from you.

Shawna said...

~I*LOVE*YOU~

elaineallbright said...

We would love to have ya'll in our Sunday School class, I mean life group. We meet at the lakehouse during the second service. You would fit in so well with us. And I do enjoy your blog so very much. I think you are priceless.

Traci said...

Beautifully-written. I can relate, about the not-going-to-church-as-much-as-I-should thing. For me, it has to do with being single and feeling like I don't fit in. All I seem to see around me at church are families - kids, husbands and wives. Which is great. But it's just not "me" anymore. That's not where I am in my life.

Of course, as valid as these feelings of mine are, they're no excuse to keep me from going as often as I should. I know Satan loves to take our insecurities and build them up high, creating obstacles between us and the Lord.

All that to say - thanks, as always, for your honesty. I think more people relate than you could even imagine...

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...