My day went from bad to worse today. And I really mean that. Today, I was the victim of identity theft. It's a good thing I'm an e-mail junkie. I received an e-mail from an eBay member asking me about a listing I had on eBay. The thing is - - I don't have anything listed on eBay. I went to my account and sure enough, there were a crap load of purses listed for sale under my user name. Some poor sucker had already bought one and paid for it. My head started swirling. And not just from the cough syrup I had just taken. I had to try to get my thoughts together and think as straight as I could. I panicked. I called David. I didn't know what else to do. He said to get a hold of their help line and go from there. I spent the next four hours fixing the problem. Some a-hole listed 52 items under my name. While I was on hold with the help line, I manually deleted each listing. As I deleted them, they were adding new ones. I was so freakin' angry. Not only was I exhausted from being sick, but I was exhausted emotionally from panic. I could picture us having to cancel our credit cards and all kinds of stuff. It must have been a good deal on the purses, because three of them sold. I tried to send e-mails out as soon as they sold telling the poor victims not to pay that it was fraudulent. Little did I know that my opponent was sending e-mails, on my behalf, from my account, saying heaven knows what. It could have been so much worse. But I'm still so incredibly pissed off. I feel so freakin' violated. Why can't people just be honest? Where did all of the honest people go? I was beaming about my American pride the other day and someone shoved that "American Pie" back into my face. The thing is, this looks like the work of foreigners. It was in Australian dollars. I'm still proud to be an American. And I'm an honest American.
Now - - I'm going to tape CSI Miami, take my cough medicine, and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow is a brand new day. Hopefully when I wake up in the morning, my abs won't be very sore from coughing so much and my money will still be in my checking account.
3 comments:
I didn't thank you for you bliss post the other day, and I meant to. I am sorry you are having such a rough time of it. I am saying a little prayer for you tonight, though. I know how I would be in your situation, so know I am thinking of you, girl.
OH MY GOSH!!! Not real sure what to say except I am soooo sorry! Hang in there. Hopefully today will be a better day for you.
K
So sorry you are having such a crappy day. Identity theft bastards. I teach a class for the library on identity theft. These two websites have some of the best information for recovering from it: www.ic3.gov (you can file a complaint with the FBI Internet crime agancy), and www.idtheftcenter.org/index.shtml (includes form letters to send to various agencies and creditors if you have become a victim of identity theft.) Good luck getting it straightened out--I'm thinking of you.
Post a Comment