Tuesday, September 14

I did it!!!

Okay.

*deep breath*

A few of you know a little about this.  I didn't want to get the cart before the horse and get rejected.  It would have been so embarrassing.

But - - I did it!

I submitted a portfolio to the local paper to be considered for contract photography.  I was given a test assignment over the weekend.  I went and shot pictures on Saturday morning.  (I practiced a high school night football game, too. Eek. The lighting. More practice needed there.)  I digress.  I shot photos of opening day of youth flag football.

I came home.  Edited.  Captioned ten of my best pictures.  Submitted.  Then held my breath.

No word yesterday.

*sigh*

No word today.

Already distracted by Bones, but, *bigger sigh*

Then, at 7:15 tonight, I got *the* e-mail.  Here is an excerpt from my editor:

Thank you. That turned out nice. I appreciate the effort you put into getting everything done right and on time. I will use your pictures Sunday as part of our Got Game page. I hope to find more opportunities for you to shoot during the week.

 *insert maniacal screaming here*

That's right.  As of Sunday, I will be a published photographer.  Shannon - - I did it.  I DID IT!  She encouraged me and believed in me.  I was able to share my opportunity with her before she passed away.  I could feel her smiling down on me as I read the e-mail.

*smiling through tears*

7 comments:

Traci B said...

CONGRATS on your getting "accepted!" And "published!" I love it! Yes, I'm so glad Shannon knew about this, that you got to tell her. How amazing, how bittersweet...

Shawna said...

(Sniff~Tears~Sniff) Thumbs Up! Congrats and I'm so proud of you for pursuing this passion.

Stephanie said...

WHOOP!!! Good job Becky!

Now you just need to get that nose pierced...

MaierHousehold said...

OMG! I totally just got goose bumps reading this!

So proud of you!!!!

I agree with Stephanie...get that nose pierced! ;)

Love you!

Kristina said...

Congratulations! and NO, don't get your nose pierced.....yuck! :)

Laura said...

That is awesome! I'd love to see the picture you are having published!

J. Page said...

This post brought tears to my eyes this morning. I am so proud of you! I saw the pics and your work is amazing! I am so thankful you were able to share this with Shannon. She is definitely smiling down on you!

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...