Do you find it difficult to maintain friendships with people who are completely and totally opposite from you politically? I have friends, both in real life and on message boards/Facebook who are *completely* different than me politically. Polar opposites.
What have I learned about them? I've learned that, for the most part, other than our views about politics, we are all much the same. We are moms, wives, friends, daughters and sisters. We each have passionate views about varying subjects in our lives. And for a reason.
I love that, in spite of our differences, we maintain our relationships. We embrace the differences and allow them to make us stronger. There are imaginary lines that we try not to cross. We are respectful of each other's opinion, even if we vehemently disagree. It's not always easy - - but it's the right thing to do.
I don't pretend to be right all of the time. I know that my party has its weaknesses. Okay, it kind of pained me to admit that. A little.
With that said, I hate what's going on in our country right now. I love that as Americans, we have the right to disagree. We have the right to demonstrate our displeasure with the government. We have the right to celebrate change and progress.
To my liberal, tree-hugging, hippie, commie, progressive friends: I *heart* each of you. Thank you for adding diversity to my life. I love how you each challenge me to think for myself. I hope, on some level, that I do the same for you.
3 comments:
Great post - I also have GOOD friends who are uber-liberals. For the most part, we try not to get into any political discussions. That's the easiest way to maintain our friendship - agree to disagree. On the rare occasion we do talk politics, it's like walking on eggshells, and I find it terribly uncomfortable. And awkward. Still, like you, I *heart* my liberal friends and find that, aside from politics, we have the same sense of humor, same values, same likes/dislikes. I find it sad when people can't be friends with someone who's on the opposite "side." My philosophy - political differences aren't worth trashing a good friendship.
Amen! my dear....
Well said. As one of your liberal, tree-hugging, hippie, commie, progressive friends... I *heart* you too. And I love that despite the fact we disagree, we can talk about our views and we do challenge each other and we learn what the other side is about. I think challenging your own beliefs strengthens your views because you know *why* you beleive what you do and *why* you don't believe what someone else does.
I have more respect for someone who disagrees with me and knows why they do, than someone who agrees with me but has no idea why.
Thanks, B... for making me a better Democrat. ;)
Post a Comment