Thursday, January 11

Touchy Social Media Subjects

I don't know if you're like me at all, but I rarely comment on Facebook posts for other people. Regardless of the subject matter. Because of the eleventy billion notifications you receive following the comment. Because someone else comments. Notification. Someone else comments. Another notification. And it keeps going on and on and on until you click on the original post and either remove your comment or attempt to turn notifications on this particular post off.  Because - - notifications. So many of them.

In this process, I've learned (the hard way) that there are certain subjects you should just leave alone. For various reasons. You'll get the gist. I'm going to list a few for you. In no certain order.

1. Instant-Pot

People have all the opinions regarding this device. They either love it, hate it, read where someone used it wrong and got disfiguring burns from it and refuse to use it, people who have never heard of it (and must live under a rock to avoid Amazon's number one Christmas item), or they are curious and would like for social media to give them more information.

Why, why, WHY did I comment that I loved ours? It was a constant barrage of dings. Love. Ding. Hate. Ding. Check out this burn victim. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. You feel me here?

I tried to turn the notifications for my comment "We use ours at least five times a week," off. The notifications were already off. But they kept coming. This is where I practically jumped up and down on the delete comment button. Get me away from this tom-foolery.

The opinions, y'all. They were strong. And they were plentiful.

2. Politics

Oh Lord. Again with the opinions.

Here's one where I'm going to give a glimpse of my opinion. It's about Oprah. Oh my goodness. Please. No. Just no. "You get a tax increase. You get a tax increase. You get a tax increase. You all get a tax increase! Well, except me and my buddies. We work the system. But screw you, 2%."  I'm stopping there. I think she'd be terrible.

It's a shame that you have to be independently wealthy to run for office. Current and past administrations are not exempt from this comment. Average people don't just run for President.

3. Religion

Another touchy one. I still post stuff. But mostly stuff about my relationship with Jesus. Not controversial crap. And for the record, I still go to Target. And Starbucks. I'm not a boycotter. Relatively speaking.  Love Jesus, Love Others. That's my life theme.

4. Direct Sales Marketing

I can't even. Some of you have this done right. You have a separate business page that you occasionally intermingle. You occasionally drop a little bit about your weight loss, an oil you love, or something. And that's way cool in my book. I applaud your success. But when that's ALL. I. SEE... Bye. I just can't. Then I have to remember to go check up on you occasionally. Because I escorted myself away about your second week into this new life-changing adventure. I just want to see pictures of your precious kids again. Or see what kind of cool vacay (that you didn't "win") you are on.

People have opinions. And you just got mine. A generic one. But good gravy, I'm not about to click like on one of those posts. And I'm sure not going to comment. Because I don't want to get the pitch. Does that make sense?

5. Inside jokes

How about we leave those inside? You guys text each other or something. Create a What's App group. Because the rest of us aren't too interested in guessing what the subtext of your text really is. We're all scratching our heads and scrolling on by. Because - - what? Why do we all need to see that?

6. Social Issues

This one scares me the most. Because a lot of time, it's blending politics and religion and smashing it into one big post. Oh goodness. It's disastrous. I skedaddle far away from most of these. I have a few hot button subjects that I'll do battle on every day. But generally, I try to stay away.

I generally try not to step in social media doo doo. I used to. But not so much anymore. If some post has hundreds or thousands of comments, I don't usually look at them. Because chances are, someone is being a total tool. Or they can't spell. Or both. And my eyes literally bleed.

Bring back videos of baby goats doing Parkour. I demand more baby goat videos.

Whatever floats your boat, kids. Have some fun out there. Don't be a social media tool. I'll just be sitting over here, scrolling on by or hitting the unfollow button.

No comments:

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...