Monday, April 13

But I Finished It In Class...

A friend posted this link to Jen Hatmaker's blog post on my Facebook wall today and I got a total chuckle out of it. You must go read it.

So - - you can imagine how happy I was when I picked the ankle-biters from their holding facility today and the oldest said, "Good news Mom! No homework!" I was elated.

Then reality sunk in. I thought to myself, "You know. That doesn't make sense. He always has class work. They were doing Stanford Achievement tests for three days last week. There's no way they did nothing in class today." Why that thought process didn't hit me earlier is beyond me. Perhaps I wanted to live in the "no homework" fantasy world a little while longer.

So I checked the teacher's website.

*face palm*

Here's the thing. No homework doesn't necessarily mean no homework. And here's why. He will rush through classwork and turn it in so that he doesn't have homework. I understand wanting to get classwork done so that you don't have homework. I totally get that. But it doesn't work for him.



And here's a hint, kid. If it says "possible quiz" there WILL be a quiz. It's not a suggestion. She's not toying with your emotions. She's subtly telling you that you better be prepared.

It just proves that I can't take my foot off the gas with this kid. Not for one second. I'm tired of nagging. But apparently I will get to retain my title of "Nagatha Christie, Secretary of Nagrigculture" until the very last day of school.

Here's what worked for us before. And we're going back to it. Sunday through Thursday he is "unplugged." No electronic devices. He's in such a hurry to get to them. So we take them out of the equation. Boom.

I'm irritated. I place the blame entirely on the kid. NOT the teachers.

I feel like we're coming in for a hard landing. And I'm on fumes at this point. I'm all out of fuel.


Let's land this bad boy and finish strong. Or - - just finish.

No comments:

Reality Check

Sometimes it's the little reminders to be grateful. I was headed back to work from my lunch break. I sat in the parking lot in my car fo...