I began a crazy journey yesterday. I'm ready to take on the State of Texas and our education system.
I'm nervously-excited about it. I guess I'm lucky because my oldest is a third-grader. If there was a time to take a stand, now is the time. We're not in a "have-to" position this year. We aren't in threat of being held back. But a test is still "on the books" for us this year. In just a few weeks.
My son is STRUGGLING in math. Big time. But is he in math tutorials after school? No. He's in reading tutorials. Why? Because third grade does the reading portion of STAAR this spring. Coincidence? Hardly.
It all started to click with me late Saturday night. A friend posted a link. It snowballed for me from there. Research. Notes. Questions. Conversations.
What's that? B's gone all activist? Yep. The rumors are true. I'm not looking to *cause* trouble. I expect I will. And I expect to catch a lot of flack.
In the end, I have to be a voice for my children. And I don't think that teaching to a test and wasting valuable instruction time on this stupid STAAR test is worth it. I'm sick of the expectations put on our kids, teachers and principals.
Homework shouldn't be sample test questions.
We shouldn't get all worked up and have a practice test day.
I'm super pissed at myself for not educating myself sooner. I just took the school's word for it. We "have to."
No.
We have rights. I will stand up for my kids. I have a voice. I can be loud. I will be loud. I will be heard.
My name is B. And it's time to make some changes in Austin. I am tired of sub-par education. I'm ready to be bold for my kids. Teachers - - I hope and pray that you can get back to the business of educating our kids. I don't blame you. I love you for following your calling. Let me help you do your job.
3 comments:
That is great! Power to the parents (and teachers)!
3rd graders also do the Math portion of the STAAR test this year. Are the teachers saying Reading is the only subject tested?
I was a little confused. Yes, they have the math portion in third grade as well. I went to an informational meeting today.
It's neither here nor there. We are opting out. And I feel really good about the decision.
Post a Comment