I saw this post on Facebook back in January:
And I was like, "Oh, yes! Preach!"
Because, yes, I've seen several countdown posts. Pictures of numbers on various cakes. Random numbers. Just numbers counting down how many days are left in school.
Again - - I hear you. In fact, I GET you. I know you work in a under-appreciated job. I know you have parents who give you zero support. I know you have very difficult children in your classroom. I know you work early in the morning and late in the evening. I know you spend a lot of your own money to buy things for your classroom. I know.
What I also know is that as a mom of two school aged boys, I'm tired, too. I'm tired of the worksheets that seem like busy work. I'm tired of doing math problems that make my brain feel like it's bleeding out. I'm tired of nagging my son to read another AR book because he "has" to. Not because he wants to. I'm tired of the sound of the alarm in the mornings. I'm tired, too.
We are all tired.
Let's do this together. Let's finish strong. I will do my part at home to encourage my children to do their absolute best. Right up until the last day. Then feel free to post your silly videos about how you are finally free. The halls are empty and you can finish up your paperwork and hit the trails. Go on vacation. Enjoy your time off. I'm sorry you still have to go to occasional workshops in the summer. But I'm glad you have opportunities to stay at the top of your field.
We're still in this though.
I get that MOST of you are busting your butts. And MOST of you really love my/our kids. Thank you for that.
But the message your countdown sends is that you can't wait to be away from it all. Which makes me think that you would check out today if you could. Please don't. Don't check out. Resist the urge to daydream about sleeping late and spending time reading a great book in a lounger at the pool. I'm trying my best to not check out either. Believe me, the easier option would be to not give three craps about their homework. They'll do good enough to pass to the next grade. No. Just NO! I'm pushing. And I expect you to push, too. Inspire them. Teach them. I would if I could. But it's not my calling. I'm their parent. I'll parent my ass off if you'll teach yours off.
Please stop getting angry when a frustrated parent cringes at your countdown. Quit talking about how much you really love my kids. Prove it. Do the job you were called to do and stop whining. Can we both agree to do that?
Finish strong, teachers. Finish strong, parents. Finish strong, students. We are a team. We are not the enemy.
Thank you for answering the call to teach. It takes a special person to put up with the ridiculous BS and bureaucracy. Hang in there.
Hanging in there, too,
Mama B

No comments:
Post a Comment